ARI has been selected as one of the 2019 UNESCO / Japan ESD(Education for Sustainable Development) Award nominees in Japan. After this, at the international jury held in Paris in July, the final qualification will be made, with more than 50 organizations selected from all over the world. If we win the award, we will be the second winner in Japan. The following two points were highly appreciated by in the domestic examination.
(Excerpt from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology UNESCO ESD Award presentation page: http://www.mext.go.jp/unesco/004/1415535.htm)
- This activity to nurture agricultural leaders who serve socially vulnerable people and to achieve a just, peaceful and sustainable society can be said to be ESD.
- For many years, in order to create a fair and sustainable society, they have been working in an international network and producing many human resources.
About UNESCO / Japan ESD Award:
It was created in 2015 with the financial support of the Japanese government in order to motivate ESD practitioners around the world to work better and to spread good practices around the world.
Period: Five years of the 2015-2019 Global Action Program
Prize: 50,000 USD
Recruitment / Selection: Based on the recommendation of NGOs (up to 3) in formal cooperation with UNESCO member countries or UNESCO, after selection by a screening committee consisting of outside experts, the Director General of UNESCO decides
Main selection criteria:
- ESD is conducted as education that brings about change that supports sustainable development, and it is connected to the change of individual and society
- Integrally dealing with three aspects of society, economy and environment related to sustainable development
- Demonstrate an innovative approach to ESD
- Other requirements indicated by UNESCO, which meet the required conditions for applying
The end of September (TBD), Announcement of winners
November (TBD), Award ceremony